Our very own interior designer, Sam Elliot, shares the secrets to choosing appliances for the culinary workroom of your new Box™ home:
- Silence is golden. A ‘powerpack’ rangehood has the motor discretely hidden under cabinetry, behind a sliding panel or a tilted hood. Planning ahead means you can even locate the motor in the roof cavity.
- Hush the helper. Dishwashers are quieter than they used to be so choosing one that runs at 45 decibels or under means your after-dinner conversation will not be disrupted by the whirr and whoosh of the machine at work.
- Like with like. If you select appliances such as fridges, dishwashers, ovens and microwaves, from the same brand, the handles, buttons, colours and overall look will be consistent.
- Back to black. Black is the new white when it comes to Mother’s Little Helpers – check out the sexy high-gloss black fridge from Electrolux or the black fireclay sink from In Residence and add some drama.
- Stone and steel. A black stone sink adds the wow factor in a kitchen; team with matte-black tapware for a strong and striking combination.
- Down boy. Gas cooktops are often preferred for the speed and instant control they offer but usually have industrial styling or simply look cheap and nasty. Good news for those who favour the clean-lined aesthetic is that there are now gas hobs built into a ceramic glass top that retract neatly into the bench at the push of a button.